Blog of Concord

Debunking theologies of glory since, well, last November.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Shuttle Roll-Out

At the time of this posting, the space shuttle Discovery is being rolled out from the Vehicle Assembly Building to Launch Complex 39 on its crawler-transporter.

My son Michael is obsessed with space and space travel. So was I, when I was a kid, and in a way I still am. However, my realistic side is doubtful about the potential or long-term value for such travel. I must say that I believe the world cannot afford to put large colonies in space, on the moon, or on Mars. And furthermore, the question must be asked, why live there? These are not human habitats. Exploration, yes. But long-term living - I just can't see the point.

However, I must say, I am grateful for the interest, because my son and daughter enjoy non-fiction as much as or more than fiction. I must say I wish they were more interested in life on earth as much as they seem to be interested in life and space.

Hey - they're six and three - give them a break!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home