Blog of Concord

Debunking theologies of glory since, well, last November.

Monday, March 21, 2005

Palm/Passion Sunday

Yesterday was a very good day. I thought our Palm/Passion Sunday celebrations went off very well.

Annette said I looked angry during my sermon, though. I think she might have a point. I often look angry when I am trying to preach Law. I often look angry, period, when I am trying to be serious. I may need to videotape my sermons to see whether or not something needs to be done.

Later this afternoon I have to go see someone who is in the hospital. This would not ordinarily be an issue except it is my day off and this is someone from my interim church who was taken off the rolls years ago and now is in trouble and wants a pastor. So I have to go away from my family, and the eldest already is not pleased about this, to drive twenty miles to Lewisburg and see this guy. It is not Christian to be angry about this but I am. I would not begrudge this if it were an active member of the congregation. Part of me thinks that the experience will change my attitude - I hope so. I told Brenda, the secretary, that secretaries get to see pastors who are grumpy about going and doing things and not the side that is always glad to be of service.

Anyhow, pray for this guy - his name is Oliver.

Edit: in posting this, I look at the new quote in the headline of the blog and say "I should be ready to yield anything." But I am mostly upset that this puts me in another situation of time-debt to my family, and it seems to be so arbitrary. I have no idea of this guy's personal situation, and why he wasn't involved with the church. But this is just par for the course - something goes wrong and people expect you to show up. Maybe the word "expect" is not the proper word. Maybe it is that he "needs" me at this time. Which is understandable - he is in serious trouble. But when the Church needed him?

Certainly I will not give this guy the third degree - this is not the time. And I may be wrong about the particulars of the situation.

You may wish to pray for me, too. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home