Blog of Concord

Debunking theologies of glory since, well, last November.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia

I am currently celebrating the Resurrection of our Lord by drinking coffee and listening to Robert Shaw's exquisite recording of Rachmaninoff's Vespers (All-Night Vigil).

Our senior pastor, Bob, had chest pains Wednesday and admitted himself to the hospital. He thought he would be out later that day. As it turned out, he was incorrect - a catheterization revealed that he had four arteries 60-70 percent blocked. So, instead of doing Holy Week services, he had quadruple bypass surgery.

As you may have guessed, this meant that I had some extra work to do. Fortunately, the sermons on Good Friday were quickly snapped up by our local Council of Churches head, two retired pastors, and Bishop Main. I only had one sermon to do on Good Friday (hooray!) If my bishop had a ring, I would kiss it.

But I did all the liturgies, a new thing for me during Holy Week. Usually I just breeze in and let Bob handle all the details. This was different.

If you have never washed twelve pairs of feet, keep this in mind. It is exhausting work. You are on your hands and knees, bent over, and you don't get a break. By the end of it, my back was stiff as a board and aching, my pulse was up, my breathing was heavy, I was sweating. For me, it is that experience that reminds me of what Jesus was ready to go through for me and for all of us. It also brings home to me what service Jesus models for us - it is not easy - it involves the whole body and mind, and it will tire us. But that is what he commands.

Friday, as I mentioned, was easy thanks to the guest preachers. But then I got a call that a member had had a massive stroke. Out to the hospital, to the church for baptismal preparation, and back to the hospital. Home at 9:45, lay down on the couch, and did not wake up until about five a.m.

Tonight was the Vigil and I baptized two babies. Remember in your prayers two new holy ones of God and sisters of Christ - Angelina Gabriela and Brenna Virginia. Angelina snuggled right up into the crook of my arm as I poured the water over her head. Brenna was a little bit fussy, but she calmed down as soon as I pulled her back in and started to dry her off.

I have a cold that has been just waiting to grab me and take me down, but it does this thing where my throat gets sore just a little bit, and then it backs down. Today the sore throat is more pronounced and I started to have a headache during the Vigil. I have no doubt that tomorrow after services it will try to pounce. Unfortunately, next week does not get easier as I most probably have a funeral, definitely a wedding at the end of the week, and the Youth Service to prepare for. I am not ready for the Youth Service. I had promised to get a musical group together and have not. I don't quite know what I am going to do.

But all of this pales next to the Resurrection. May your celebration of our Lord's triumph be blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home