Blog of Concord

Debunking theologies of glory since, well, last November.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Who is the Lord, here?

"Lord, get rid of this headache."

Is this a prayer, or a command?

What earthly servant would dare speak thus to his lord?

What lord would endure it?

Yet this is how I spoke to my Lord this morning, in the space between sleep and wakefulness, as casually as could be, as if I were snapping my fingers, calling for my morning coffee or jam with my toast.

"Lord, get rid of this headache."

Ask, and you shall receive. But we are not told to treat our God and Creator as our servant or butler. That is not asking, that is commanding. And perhaps my prayers are weak because they are not prayers.

Oh, and by the way, Lord, is there anything I can do for you today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home