Blog of Concord

Debunking theologies of glory since, well, last November.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Gerhard Krodel, R.I.P.

My intern supervisor had only his dissertation to complete on a doctorate of history when he started his seminary studies. His university offered him the opportunity to complete the dissertation and attain to the degree. He discussed it with Dean Krodel and President Steumpfle and said that he didn't think he could keep up with the coursework at Gettysburg AND do the dissertation, so he thought he would decline the opportunity to do the dissertation. Krodel told him:

"You vill not use us as an excuse for your failure!"

He completed the dissertation.

4 Comments:

At 9/01/2005 3:18 PM, Blogger Lee said...

It's been a bad few weeks for Lutheran seminary profs named Gerhard! :(

 
At 9/01/2005 3:22 PM, Blogger Maurice Frontz said...

Or a good few weeks, depending on how you look at it... :)

 
At 10/05/2005 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was saddened to learn yesterday of the death of Dr. Krodel. I pray that God bring strength and comfort to his family.

When I started at Phila. Sem. in 1972, I had just returned from a trip to Germany, so I was the only one in my class not intimidated by that deep, Germanic voice. Since Dr. Reumann was on sabbatical that year, we had Krodel for almost all of our biblical courses. I was enthralled by the way he could make the NT come alive. I decided that year I would continue graduate study in NT. In 1987, I earned a doctorate in NT from Union Theological Seminary, NY. Now I am in the Religion Dept. at Carthage College.

Krodel was always the one I think of as my inspiration. He coupled lively discussions with rigorous scholarship. even though some of my classmates could not get past the Teutonic exterior, I always knew that behind his gruff exterior was a faithful heart of gold. I'll miss him.

Chris von Dehsen, Kenosha, WI

 
At 11/11/2005 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my Valpo days, I had an opportunity to attend a couple of workshops that Dr. Krodel conducted on Reformation history. Great stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home