Blog of Concord

Debunking theologies of glory since, well, last November.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Andrew doesn't get it

Andrew Sullivan, who gets it so relentlessly when it comes to iPods, doesn't get the Pope. (Well, that's obvious, you might be thinking.) But he writes thusly regarding the Pope's illness (italics are mine)

THE POPE'S LIFE: We have been informed that the pontiff's current suffering and persistence against multiple illnesses and debilities is sending a message about the dignity of suffering and the importance of life. There is indeed a great truth to that. But there is also a point at which clinging to life itself becomes a little odd for a Christian, no? Isn't the fundamental point about Christianity that our life on earth is but a blink in the eye of our real existence, which begins at death and lasts for eternity in God's loving presence? Why is the Pope sending a signal that we should cling to life at all costs - and that this clinging represents some kind of moral achievement? Isn't there a moment at which the proper Christian approach to death is to let it come and be glad? Or put it another way: if the Pope is this desperate to stay alive, what hope is there for the rest of us?


Mr. Sullivan seems never to have read this:

It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be put to shame in any way, but that by my speaking with all boldness, Christ will be exalted now as always in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labour for me; and I do not know which I prefer. I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.


And the Pope's commitment is obviously that it is not up to him when he is to depart and be with Christ, and lie down and rest with the saints. Sullivan writes from his human-centered perspective - obviously, the Pope should know and decide out of freedom when his time is. John Paul II thinks differently - or should I say, he has a different conception of human freedom.

7 Comments:

At 2/26/2005 6:14 PM, Blogger Clint Schnekloth said...

Leave it to a man named Andrew not to get the successor Peter. :)

 
At 12/08/2005 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW Pastor Frontz. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on acoustic electric guitars. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though this post really isn’t on the same page as acoustic electric guitars I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at acoustic electric guitars. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

 
At 12/13/2005 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog Pastor Frontz. How long has it been on-line? Reason I ask is I am doing a ton of work in the area of takamine guitars and will probably end up starting a blog of my own. Funny how the internet brought me here when I was doing searches on takamine guitars. Oh well, I am glad it did. Keep up the great blogging and I am sure I will visit this post again!!

 
At 12/14/2005 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about guitar tab and chords. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on guitar tab and chords and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Pastor Frontz and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I may snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

 
At 12/16/2005 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad to say I just got back from a bowling tournament and decided to log in and do some websurfing. Pastor Frontz I love your blog. I had some very good laughs. I am doing a paper on beatles guitar tabs and have been downloading information for the last hour. I don’t know how I came across this post but I am glad I did. It has set me back a little because I have spent the last hour reading your archives. If you don’t mind I would like to add you to my favorites so I can back again and read some more. Well I need to get back to beatles guitar tabs. I am almost finished with it. Great job.
p.s some very good points on your blog

 
At 12/17/2005 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Frontz your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on acoustic electric guitars I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about acoustic electric guitars. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at acoustic electric guitars. You never know you may find some good deals!

 
At 12/18/2005 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW Pastor Frontz. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on resonator guitars. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though this post really isn’t on the same page as resonator guitars I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at resonator guitars. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home